Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My Journey so far.........


It's been a while since I posted so I needed to come back here and update you on what's been going on in my life.

First of all one clear day in February 15th to be exact I got handed a pink slip at work after serving faithfully as a Development Secretary for 6 years. I was told my services were no longer required but I can continue to work for a month until they find someone to replace me. It was really disheartening news because I knew they had a policy not to pay into unemployment  insurance and seeing the economy the way it is right now [there is no recession in God's kingdom] I knew it will take a divine intervention to get another job in my field. I took sometime off to travel down to Houston TX, first of all to get away from NJ [vacation] and to see what was out there. I have always been invited by my friends out there but never had time to go but since this was a wonderful opportunity I took the trip.

Houston is lovely really beautiful, big houses, clean and wide roads, now I see what they mean when they say things are bigger in TX, it truly is. I had a lovely time and did a little job interviewing and job search at the same time but since I went without my car it was pretty difficult moving around and since I didn't want to inconvenience my friends by asking them to pick me up and drop me off wherever I wanted to go, so I had to try their public transportation services which was was non-existent at the location where I was. Needless to say I lost 10 pounds walking to the nearest bus stops which sometimes is about 4 miles away from my friend's house in North east TX. It was a tough time for me so I had to cut short my trip by a week, came back to NJ to continue my job search which till now is yielding little fruit but I am hopeful and expectant that things will turn around real soon.

It's really a true saying that you don't know your friends until you are in trouble. My eyes have been open to who my true friends are, I know most of them are wondering why I never went back to school all the time I was employed so at least I could have a career and not a job. I had to make sacrifices for my family in Nigeria so they can be alright before pursuing my own interest/career. I had a brother and sister back home in Nigeria going to college, another one battling with a crippling disease with two children [their father ran off when the disease started] and since the chance of working and going back to school in Nigeria is more difficult than here in the States. I had to help out with school fees, house rents, project fees, etc then in the midst of everything my younger brother died.  Once again, I became responsible for burial fees, funeral cost, transportation cost for every sibling including my older brother who was having money issues with his family of 5 children, had to help out with his children's school fees, house rent, food  etc. It became overwhelming at a point but God saw me through.

Thank God my brother's business is doing well, my younger sister has graduated is working now and married too, the one with the disease got healed to the glory of God and is doing well now with her children. I am now ready to concentrate on me. If you have your whole family over here in the States and you are able to go back to school, work and only take care of yourself and nobody else or you got married and your husband has a good job, can take care of all the bills so you can concentrate on school, don't look down on someone else who does not have a graduate degree until you have walked a mile in their shoes. I don't regret the sacrifices I had to make for my family and if I had to do it all over again, I will. I made a promise to my mother before she passed away that I will always take care of my siblings and God helping me I did the best I could with the little resource I had and I give God all the glory.

One thing is sure, God is not unrighteous to forget my labor of love over the ministry He committed into my hands, my sacrifices for my siblings and my loyalty to my job even in the face of really tempting situations. He will bring me out of this situation and I will come forth as gold. It's being a challenging time these past months but I know the God I serve that He is greater than any problem I can or cannot see.

I want to encourage everyone out there going through their own valleys right now, God is bringing you out from the valley onto the mountains so rejoice and take consolation in this that God who started a good work in you will perfect and perform it till the day of Christ. It's never too late for a child of God.

Shalom


No comments:

Post a Comment