Total Pageviews

Monday, July 25, 2011

AN ODE TO MY PAPA.

Listening to Pastor Shirley Caesar’s song “I remember Mama” brought back memories of my childhood but I am remembering my Papa this time. Mama’s turn will come later.

I grew up the apple of my father’s eyes, we were best friends, he was always present at my PTA meetings, at home when I needed him and he was my biggest supporter. I remember in primary and secondary schools, he was always there at any end of the year school activities, so proud to see me receive my awards and prizes. He was my biggest cheerleader.

He made sure no harm came to me. He was my biggest defender although he never spared the rod when I messed up, after each spanking he will call me to let me know why he spanked me, then I always thought “why not spank me again and spare me all these stories” but now I can understand why he did it.

My father may not have taking me fishing, snorkeling, taught me to ride a bike or even taken me to the beach but he taught me valuable lessons of life, how to treat fellow human beings, how to apologize when I am wrong, how to see the other person’s good qualities and work with them regardless and the values of hardwork. We didn’t have much but he made sure he worked hard to provide for us so we don’t go begging for food.

I was my father’s little lady and he treated me as such. He taught me how to cook, [yes he did] keep the house clean, manage resources and always have faith that things will turn out right no matter how bad the situation appeared at first.

I’ve always prayed for someone to love me like my father did and care for me as his princess [still waiting for that manifestation], we had our misunderstandings, arguments and such but through it all his love for me was always shown. I could never do wrong in his eyes, I felt so secured in his love for me. The last thing he did for me before leaving this earth was to pay my school fees during my last semester in college and for that I will forever be grateful.

It’s been 14 years since he departed this earth but the memories I have with him stays with me forever. He might not have been the best husband but he was to me “The world’s greatest Dad”. I wish I could pick up the phone and give him a call when I am going through stuff and missing him like crazy [like yesterday] but I take consolation that I will see him again on resurrection morning and above all I know I have a Father that lives forever more and is always available for me 24/7 – God who is the father of the fatherless and the defender of the defenseless.

I love you Papa!!!!.

In memory of Dominic Sunday Nwokeke.

No comments:

Post a Comment