Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Whatever happened to singing processional hymns at weddings

I often wondered whatever happened to singing processional hymns at a wedding especially when the bridal train and the bride are walking in. These days what I hear baffles me, we now use secular music in place of hymns and spiritual songs which have deep spiritual meanings and make the wedding a sacred event, if the couple do not want it to be a sacred event, they can as well go to the court house and get married.

One of these days I guess I will hear Dbanj "You don make me fall in love" or Marvin Gaye's "Sexual healing" as a processional song choice since it's the "Bride and Groom's day" and they are entitled to have any song of their choice for their bridal entrance. We have completely neglected the fact that marriage is a spiritual union and the wedding day should be a day unto the Lord where souls can be won into His kingdom because God can save a soul any day of the week and in any occasion that glorifies Him.

One might say I am taking it to the extreme but as a worship leader and a child of God, if you profess to be one too do not let your Christianity be questioned by the music you listen to and your song choice at your wedding because those that don't believe are watching and if they see no difference in you a believer, how do you think they are going to come to the Kingdom, granted you are not the Holy Spirit but don't forget you are the bible they read. Jesus mingled with the Pharisees and sinners of His day but he never participated in their sins.

I believe the clergy in our various churches should vet the processional songs so the couple's choice does not bring reproach to the kingdom and to the church in particular. Like the title of my blog, these are my thoughts, you are free to share yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment